Monday, September 1, 2014



I had a great time on our middle school mission trip.  First, we went to six flags over Texas in Arlington, Texas.  It was a beautiful day and we had a great time. Afterward, we went to the retreat house at Camp Broadway.  They had bunk-beds and I slept on top, the ceilings were low, so in the morning I would bump my head when I sat up.
The next day we woke up and went to Broadway Baptist church. One group went to the food pantry to pick up food for May Street Market, which is a food pantry that they call a market because they want the people who shop there to feel like it's a grocery store. The market is set-up like a grocery store and they have lists of what you can get, depending on how big your family is.  Sometimes they have fresh produce which is unlimited.  I got to help stock shelves and that was a lot of fun to do with my friends.
Later that day, we helped hand out school uniforms to kids, so they could go to school in brand new clothes. Each child received two new pair of underwear, socks, shirts, and pants for school as well as jeans, shorts and shirts for weekend clothes.  My two jobs were telling people where to wait so they could get their clothes and helping hand out shirts.
That night we assisted in serving an agape meal.  The two jobs were serving and hosting. I was a server and brought the food out to the tables and took people's plates back to the kitchen.  The meal was pineapple and ham, potatoes, corn, and cake for desert.  After everyone finished, they had a choice to leave or to stay for a short worship service.
It really felt good when the people ate and they were happy.
This experience was very fun and I can't wait to serve with my friends again soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment