Monday, November 5, 2018


The Greatest
A Stewardship Sermon
By Griff Martin
On Mark 12:28-34 and Ruth 1:1-18
For the Beloveds of First Austin: a baptist community of faith
On November 4, 2018

I have to confess stewardship season is not my favorite church season, I am more of an Advent guy (hope in the dark). In stewardship season, I have to talk to you about how you spend money and time, which means that I have to sit and do a lot of work looking at how I spend my money and time because I truly believe I can’t ask you to do something that I myself don’t do.

And because stewardship preaching here at First Austin has never proved to be a good season for me personally. Last year I started working on stewardship season and the next day Abby’s car broke down, the dishwasher died and Jude flushed an action figure down the pipes which meant a plumber. I thought surely this year would be better but last weekend when I started thinking about stewardship, I woke up to a kitchen full of water from what I assumed was a fridge that had gone out overnight, although grace of grace it was miraculously fixed when I taught my children that before bed one must close the freezer door.

So stewardship makes me a bit anxious. 

And uncomfortable.

Because I do stop and look at how I am doing myself. What have I spent money on in the past year that could have been better not spent, but gifted? How did I do on my pledge from last year, was I faithful to what I promised God and this community? Did I promise enough or did I hold back? Have I been generous enough with my time? Have I invested enough of my calendar time to missions? Have I been generous? Have I given all I could give? 

Those are not easy questions. 

Those are questions that really report back to me way more than just stewardship, those are questions of character and Christian living, those are kingdom questions. If there is a test to get in the pearly gates, it’s probably questions like those. 

The Gospel this year has not been a text but a mandate, the water boil, what a perfect illustration and metaphor. I was shocked last week by the reaction to to the water boil mandate, I went to the HEB that afternoon to get a flu shot and before I even got in the store I heard announcement being made about the store being out of water and I saw signs everyone stating the store was out of water and other signs limiting how much water you could buy. Even more amazing there was a line of people who was waiting for water to arrive in 4 hours. 

And all we had to do was boil water.

But that is what happens to a people when they think something is scarce. We act out of scarcity. We hoard. We worry. We grab all that we can. We store away. We get selfish. We tend to see all resources as limited. 

It’s Anne Lamott who helps us understand this with this image: “I’ve had many years of recovery and therapy, years filled with intimate and devoted friendships, yet I still struggle. I know that when someone gets a big slice of pie, it doesn’t mean there’s less for me. In fact, I know that there isn’t even a pie, that there’s plenty to go around, enough food and love and air. But I don’t believe it for a second. I secretly believe there’s a pie. I will go to my grave holding my fork.”

And the world is so big… and yet we tend to think in terms of scarcity. 

As a people I think our world is doing a lot of scarcity thinking these days. Which makes sense because our world feels scary right now… lots of worry and fear and change and things do seem scarce and we are doing some scarcity thinking and living. We are hoarding and hiding and preparing for the worst of times. 

And we have to be honest, it’s affecting how we do church.

There are enough of us here that we should not have a problem finding the bodies to do a second Mobile Loaves and Fishes food run after church on Sundays and yet Jill Robinson practically had to beg. We have enough of us that hosting a carnival at Oak Springs, our elementary partner school, should not have been a problem but Dorothy did have to beg. We should have a list of folks who are willing once a month to do a Saturday morning home build for Community First and yet we often only have 2 or 3 of us there. 

And financially we should not debate if we are going to be able to add a missions program this year or how much we can get by on for Vacation Bible School or if we really need to support the Baptist Women in Ministry or if we can find a way to cut some of our staff hours or if we need to charge more for youth camp this year.

All of that is the result of scarcity thinking.

And that is the exact opposite of all that we are called to do and be and give.

The two Scripture texts today are two of my favorites. 

Jesus being questioned on what is the greatest truth of all life (and an aside that I think is always worth pointing out about this text, this is the only thing Jesus calls great. We call the commission the great commission, he does not. But Jesus does call this truth the greatest). The greatest is this: love God with everything you have and love others with everything you have and love yourself with everything you have.

Which is about as opposite of scarcity as one can get.

And then this story of Ruth where faithful living is giving your all to another. Those beautiful lines- I actually used them yesterday in Kristin and Caitlyn’s beautiful wedding ceremony- Where you go, I will go; where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die.” Again this is about as opposite scarcity as you can get. I actually think this story might be the exact story Jesus learned the Greatest from, from his great-great-great-great grandmother.

You see you teach abundance by living abundantly.

You become abundant by living abundantly. 

You choose to see the world through other eyes beside scarcity. 

And when you do this you start giving abundantly because there is so much more to give than you ever though possible. 

It’s the very lesson we learn in communion: give it all away and you find even more to give, you find yourself through giving. 

Our world seems scarce right now and it’s easy to retreat back into our corners and go into scarcity thinking, hoarding, protecting, guarding, storing up… you know the drill.

But the church has always been it’s best when we have been counter-cultural. Which means that we need to be building houses at Community First, we need to be teaching our kids to be more like Christ at VBS, we need to be working in our local elementary schools, we need to be handing out sandwiches at MLF, we need to be helping our youth understand the Gospel call in our world today, we need to giving the basic necessities of life to the women moving out of the battered women’s shelter and into their first apartment, we need to be clothing and feeding those experiencing homelessness, we need to be offering shelter, we need to be offering worship services that restore our souls, we need to provide community meals here where we can sit around the table, we need to come here and hear the Gospel…

And all that takes our money and our time.

This stewardship season I want you to reflect on what we are building and becoming here, because you have a very real role in that…. Will you give out of scarcity or abundance? Because they are quite different. 

On one we might get buy, on the other we might actually change the world. 

And Christianity is about abundance because in the resurrection there is no scarcity. Let’s live that starting now.

Amen and Amen. 

*artwork: The Wind, Digital Painting by Rhads, deviantart.com/rhads

0 comments:

Post a Comment