Monday, November 26, 2018


Christ the King
A Sermon on John 18:33-37 and Revelation 1:4b-8
In Two Voices (by Griff Martin and Jared Slack)
On Christ the King Sunday
November 25, 2018

John 18:33-37
Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” Jesus answered, “Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?”  Pilate replied, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?” Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.” Pilate asked him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.”

Revelation 1:4-8
Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Look! He is coming with the clouds;
    every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
    and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail.
So it is to be. Amen.
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.





The Sermon:
Incarnate and Resurrected God, we ask that you once again take the Word and transform it into a living and breathing new reality we can all together experience. Make us aware of you presence here in this space and in these words God for if we are present to you then nothing else will matter, but if you are not present to you then nothing else will matter. In the name of the Creator, the Christ and the Comforter.  Amen.

Introduction (Griff):
We just assume that most of Church tradition is as old as time. In Baton Rouge during a Bible study someone raised their hand one morning and asked me what I thought Jesus gave up for Lent before he was crucified, they were not kidding, I could not even give them an answer. They just assumed that once a religious tradition, always a religious tradition.

And some of our church seasons do date pretty far back, Lent and Advent date pretty far back. Our church father Irenaus writes about an observation of something Lent like in 180 and by the time of the Council of Nicaea in 325 Lent looks like a 40 day preparation period, we are not sure if it was for the entire church or just those about to be baptized, but it still has ancient roots.

Lent, Advent, Pentecost… these are Sunday’s and celebrations with 1,000’s of years of history and practice. 

Today does not have ancient roots of 1,000 years of history. Christ the King Sunday is a newbie for us, not even 100 years old yet. Christ the King Sunday begun in the 1920’s as a result of World War I. Pope Pious XI began this Sunday in 1920 to remind the church who they worshipped. The world was changing and after the war there were questions of who was in charge and powerful, in a world of Czar Ferdinand or Kaiser Wilhelm, it seemed important that that the church be reminded who was King.

I don’t know how I feel about this. 

One, I think that is actually the point of every worship service and prayer and meditation we hold as a community and every spiritual discipline we practice together, to remind us that this is not about us, that we are not in control, that this is a bigger story than us and that the world does not revolve around us, no matter how badly we want it too. 

Second, King? Really? I don’t know about you but my experience with kings is limited to The Crown, bedtime stories, fairy tales, Game of Thrones and BBC series. King is not a language I use. 

In the words of Nadia Bolz Webber: “I always have resented this day because the idea of the kingship of Christ may have meant something in the political climate 90 years ago but now it’s like celebrating Christ the CEO Sunday.” 





The King I Want (Jared):
And yet here we are this Sunday after Thanksgiving, the last Sunday of November, the very last Sunday before Advent… with a story about Jesus’s trial before Pilate just hours before his death.

We quickly find that at the center of this conversation is one single, incendiary word that through out the years wars have been fought for and movies have been made about… a word and title given to an exclusive and powerful few who’ve inherited it or taken it by force. And of course we all what that word is… King

And this exchange between Jesus and Pilate is but a mere moment amidst others that day… Moments involving a cranky crowd, some whip happy guards, and all the requisite legal procedure needed to put together a trial and smear campaign centering around Jesus’ alleged “claim” to this silly little… chaos creating… four letter word, King.

Sometimes if you’re a couple of mostly white, entirely privileged men like us yahoos up here and all of our yahoo brethren in this building and all over the world… you might have a hard time seeing why over and over throughout history and right this very moment in time understanding others are acting on there need to raise  a stink about yet another yahoo in a long line of yahoos laying their claim to power. 

And maybe you catch yourself not really and truly seeing the issue that people like  Nadia Bolz-Webber have with a Holy Day like today being called Christ the “Four-Letter-Word” Sunday.

I’ll confess that there are some days when I find myself wanting to climb up to the tippy-top of my well-ridden high horse and with a willful sort of ignorance ask, “Why all the fuss about a goofy little king? They’re all alike.”

But then there are days like today when I just feel this insatiable need to say out loud the thing that often goes unsaid by people like me and often un-listened to when it comes from people who are not like me. 

It’s a dark truth that I’ve known from early on, ingrained into me through all of life’s experiences both big and small. It’s a truth that many of you will know almost instantly and maybe even resonate with. 

It’s the dark truth that for a “good ole boy” looking, secretly half-Mexican man like myself, whether or not I get to experience any semblance of what it is that I feel is “the good life” has little or nothing to do with who is or who isn’t in power.

And right off the bat, not yet half way into this little duo sermon thing we’re  doing up here, that’s a super tricky truth for us to own, Griff and myself included.

And I’m not trying to lay the guilt of that on anyone in this church today that doesn’t want to take that on. That’s between you and the person that Pilate is having this conversation with.

But I wanna ask you to go with me here for a second and let’s see if we can’t somehow stumble into something worth our time and attention…

What if it’s possible that yet again our sacred scripture and the greater Christian tradition we participate in is somehow mystically, thoughtfully, or however you wanna describe it, curating this very moment for us. Hoping that we might pause here for some time to put ourselves into this story and let it form us into something better.

What if right from the get go we consider Pilate’s opening question, “Are you king of the Jews?” As though it was that exact same question that you and I need to ponder together today. Because maybe you’re like me and you can’t make a lick of sense of what comes next in this story anyways… so it might be best for us all to stay up here in the shallow end before moving on to the Advanced Defense Against Dark Arts down below.


But I gotta say that the longer I stay here splashing around in these waters this question gets slowly shaped into something new, and soon I find this very real, very intrusive question has taken form. A question often ignored by people  who are like me and often required material for people who are not like me… that question being what kind of king are you?

Even with all of our varying opinions about whether or not Christ and King should be spoken in the same breath, at the end of the day, deep down we’re all just wanting to know what kind of king we’re supposed to follow what it’s going to cost us. 

And there are a lot of times that I catch I catch myself being lulled into wanting the kind of king that asks very little of me in comparison to the benefits I receive in return.

A king that puts my comfort and my personal preferences above all others.

The kind of king that let’s me eat all the turkey and gravy I want on Thursday and not have to feel the after effects of that decision the morning during yoga.

I want a king that keeps all the change that’s needed to improve our world to take place far away from the sphere of my experience, or at least lets me pretend that going along with all this was my idea.

A king that let’s me settle for the comfortable illusion of my own control, versus one that asks me to open me eyes and see things as they really are.

In short, I want an Easy King, one that swings a big stick but never in my direction… but it feels like every single time I open scripture I’m met once again with a King named Jesus who is anything but easy.






The King I Don’t Want (Griff):
A few months ago the Martin’s all piled into the car and headed for dinner and we did that thing where we started driving before we had chosen the destination, which is dangerous. All the usuals were suggested… Maudie’s, Pinthouse, Top Notch, Fresas, Shady Grove and they were all shot down by the 2 backseat Martin’s… finally in desperation I said a little put out, “Well where should we go?” And one of the backseat angles said, “well I don’t know where I want to go but I do know where I don’t want to go.”
That is kind of how I feel about King. 

I actually don’t know what I want in a King, but I clearly know what I don’t want in a King. Look at the John text we read earlier just for starters, now remind yourself where this is in the story. This is after the Last Supper, this is after the Garden Prayer and arrest and all that entails. We are in the dead of the night and Jesus has been brought before Pilate and Pilate’s question is fairly simple, “Are you the king?”And Pilate keeps asking this every way he can and Jesus keeps answering with a non answer and for me it’s a bit infuriating here. 

For starters Jesus is in front of the political power of his day, a man in a powerful situation and with all the political capital one could hold. And I personally am a big fan of the politics of Jesus, I think Jesus gives us politics that can actually work in our world and transform our world. And Jesus refuses to participate in Pilate’s politics, instead he turns every answer into something theological, something not of this world. 
And here is what I know, Jesus would have been victorious in a political debate with Pilate. Yet he choose another way, as if answering politics with more politics is far less productive than answering politics with theology.What kind of king is that?

And Jesus does not even put up a fight, there are no threats or anything like that. It does not even appear that he fought back when they came to arrest him, instead he surrendered. As if that is the key. And I don’t need him to put up a huge fight or too get too violent, I know violence alone is not the answer, but I need a little more than just complete surrender.

I don’t need Elijah on the mountain killing everyone with fire from the heavens, that is a little much for my taste. But I do want someone who holds their own, who does not get walked on and taken advantage of. I need more than just laying down one’s life, what kind of King is that?

And Jesus just seems to let go of control and power and that does not seem anything like a King to me, King and Kingdom’s are all about power and control, I mean I think that is the defining feature of a king, someone who is control and has all the power. A king about love and surrender, what kind of King is that?

I mean let’s be honest this entire scene with Pilate, it’s really hard to see who stands before who and who is really in charge, what kind of King is that?


The King We Have (Jared):
And over and over I’m finding that it’s when I start getting brave enough to ask these kinds of questions… ones that confront the truths I believe about God and that truths I really hold deep down in my soul… it feels like I’m slowly but surely nudging my soul along in the ongoing work of me better following this Jesus who cares very little about being the kind of king that I have any sort of earthly experience with.

And it’s in moments like this when the reality of who Jesus is on the one hand and who I wish Jesus would be on the other are at their most tense that somebody like Pilate strolls up and asks a question that opens to an answer that might just be the most piercingly profound of them all…“If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting…”

It’s bold and snarky words like this spoken right into the face of power, when Jesus pays not one ounce of reverence to the well worn-patterns and traditional power structures, that I’m convinced deep, deep down in my heart that if there ever was actually a King who walked this earth, that can have only been King Jesus. 

And even more, that none of us would be wasting our time in spending our entire lives learning how to follow him better and better.

Because unlike all the other kings before him who gained power and a following through fear and violence, King Jesus chooses to peacefully stand his ground and speak his truth to anyone who asks him an honest question. And as always, with his answers Jesus insists on busting open the cramped boxes of power through violence and instead hops up onto his own creaky soapbox one final time to tell Pilate about a kingdom and a king who’s ways are not of this world. Who’s way are better. Who’s ways are good. Who’s ways are of peace instead of violence.


This is the kind of kingdom with a King the world won’t recognize at first glance.

The kind of King that serves rather than is served. 

The kind of king who gets down on his hands and knees to speak with the lowly and the rejected, and, when needed, stands up on his tip toes to speak truth to whoever thinks they’re in power.

The kind of king that’s not beholden to the comfy trappings of the ways things have always been.

A king who invites us to step out of the shadows of our own making, and into the truth telling light about who we really are and what we’re really mean when we say we follow our Lord.

Over and over, with each and every little glimpse of this beautiful kingdom, this King Jesus I keep running into is the only King that I could ever imagine spending my life following. None of the other kings out there, whether they’re another yahoo with an army or they’re any number of the other little kings I fashioned with my own two hand, no matter how many promises they make will never measure up to the kind of King I have in Jesus.



Follow (Griff):

And of course the main message today is not to decide if Christ is king or not, we would love to think that because it makes this about us, but this is not about us. Here is the truth, Christ is king if you think it or not. What you think about Jesus does not change the truth, Jesus is Lord and Christ is King. 

You accept that or you don’t accept that. 

You make that your truth or you choose to follow a lie. 

It’s that simple. 

A king whose kingdom is not of this world, a king whose ways are not our ways….

But isn’t that Gospel because let’s be honest the kingdoms of this world are not doing so well these days, they are crumbling and they are killing us. And our ways are not really helping us. So maybe it’s time we try something different. 

Maybe it’s time to try a different model of King, to try the work of Jesus and if we are are going to do the work of Jesus we need to do it the way of Jesus.

Today is the day we pledge our allegiance, today we give our loyalty, today we commit ourselves the Christ is king, we are not and no power of this world is and it’s time to try something a new way… a way of surrender, love (…)

It’s the very prayer of Jesus… Thy kingdom come.

And I might add, Lord please sooner than later and may we be part of that.

Amen and Amen. 

*artwork: King of Kings, by Steve Gamba, 1-steve-gamba.pixels.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment