Monday, August 27, 2018


On Evangelism
Our Words Series
A Sermon for the Beloveds of First Austin: a baptist community of faith
By Griff Martin
Matthew 28:16-20
On August 26, 2018

Matthew 28:16-20

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Sermon: 

Incarnate and Resurrected God, we ask that you once again take the Word and transform it into a living and breathing new reality we can all together experience. Be present here in this space and in these words God, for if you are present here then nothing else will matter, but if you are not present here then nothing else will matter. In the name of the Creator, the Christ and the Comforter.  Amen.

The Sermon:

What to do with the word, label, name and identity evangelical? My entire Doctor of Ministry journey began with this question. My first paper for this degree was on a book dealing with evangelical theology in a post-conservative world (sounds fascinating, doesn’t it?), and the first paper was essentially the very question of this sermon: What do we do today with the identityevangelical?

Now I was not the best graduate student; I did not always know the rules of academics. For instance, I did not see it as unwise to write this paper arguing entirely against the premise of the book, which seemed fair to me since the assignment was to respond to the book. I should state here that the author of this book was also the professor of my first seminar and he would be grading the paper. So in my first paper I attempted to prove his entire book and central argument wrong. It was not the best starting off place, and I got an email quickly telling me he thought it best to try again and choose a smaller task than, in his words, “letting me know all my work was for nothing.” 

I rewrote the paper focusing on narrative theology and Scripture, one of the course-corrections he suggested. It was very dull, but it got me an A. I went back and read both papers this weekI stand by the first one as a much better written, thought-out and interesting paper. It has held up a lot better than the rewrite. However, despite my deep hope this paper would help me find an answer, it did not give me an answer to the question of this sermon.

So I then turned to you all…conducting a very official polling of First Austinand by very official I mean I texted about 15 of you, just random names that I had in my phone with this question: Do you consider yourself evangelical, why or why not? I got back 7 yes, 6 no, 1 who is this and 1 please lose this number. 

Actually, what I got were mostly “yes, but…,” and “no, but…,” and then a litany of things that distinguished and distanced each person from the evangelical world, or which called to the evangelical identity even if they did not claim the label, which is more than fair. Most of it boiled down to this: I know there is something important and maybe even needed about sharing the Gospel, but the phrase itself is too loaded these days. That sums up 12 of the replies. 

Evangelical is a loaded term, and I am going to fight my desire to go into that and talk about all the negativity of the word. Beyond that it’s a word with a thousand meanings. As evidence of that, according to numerous studies depending on the method of measurement and how exactly evangelical is defined, more than one-third of Americans (47%) are evangelical, or fewer than one-in-10 are evangelical.  

And beyond there being many definitions of the word, the context in which the word is being used is important. To the pollster and historian, it is a sociological term. To the pastor and church person, it is a denominational or doctrinal term. And to the politician and journalist, it is a synonym for a white Christian Republican.

It’s another word that has been hijacked, and this has been going on for quite some time. In the 1960s Historian George Marsden said that an evangelical was anyone who liked Billy Graham. Twenty years later, Billy Graham himself, our most famous evangelical preacher, confessed that he could not define evangelical. 

So maybe it’s best to start with the question: what is evangelical?

Just to reviewat its most basic, evangelical is rooted in 4 attributes as defined best by David Bebbington, whose principal research as a historian has been the evangelical movement. According to this work, the 4 foundations of evangelical theology and practice are 1) importance of conversion, 2) support for activism and missional activities, 3) high regard for Scripture, and 4) centrality of the cross. 

However, ask the average person in our world today what evangelicals stand for, and you are not going to get a list of those four foundations. According to just a bit of googling and a recent article in The Atlantic, the average person thinks evangelicals are those who oppose Islam, oppose refugees and immigrants, stand up for the National Anthem, fight for the right to fly a confederate flag, oppose evolution, oppose feminist ideology, are pro-traditional family, vote a particular way…. A recent article state that the main two identifiers in terms of evangelicals were their views on white racial identity and the right to bear arms. 

According to a recent article in Christian Century, and I quote, “what most distinguishes white evangelicals from other Christians and from non-believers is not theology, but politics.” And then from Tim Keller, a prominent leader in the evangelical movement, “Evangelical used to denote a people who claimed the higher moral ground, now in popular usage is nearly synonymous with hypocrite.” 

Thus, our problem. How do we identify with a word which culturally we want little to do with, but contains a key calling for us, a word which might imply a politics and theology we don’t all share? The good news is, our job is not to redeem words; our calling is to redeem the world. The redemption of words is not our calling, it’s the redemption of the world around us. 

Which brings us to the central truth of evangelism: the word comes from the Greek word meaning gospel or good news.” Strictly speaking, evangelical then refers to a person or institution that is committed to sharing the gospel or the good news. In the New Testament this word distinguished the love-centric movement of Jesus to the violent Roman empire, whose good news was military conquest.

It’s good news in a world in which it seems like there is no good news.

So strictly speaking, culture aside, evangelicals are those who are committed to the love-centric movement of Jesus, to living and sharing his life. Which means that when it comes to the word evangelical, we might have thrown the baby out with the bath water. We can lose the label, but we cannot lose the calling. We can lose the noun, but we must never forget the verb. 

And the truth is, this week as I researched this sermon, I realized how easy (and honestly fun and ego-pleasing) it would be to point fingers at how badly those evangelicals have characterized us and how they tell the story in such a bad way, but then I had this awful realization, “Griff, at least they are telling the story….” 

One of you lamented to me this week that in letting go of evangelical baggage and transitioning to this community, you did feel you had lost a little bit of zeal for your faith, and some of our Christian calling has become quite complacent. I had to sit with that because it stung a bit, and it stung because it was truth.

You see the truth is, for me it was easy to walk away from the evangelical label because evangelism is hard. I wish I could share another example, but here is what I got: I have a new neighbor that moved in almost half a year ago, and we have had many conversations. He knows that I am a pastor, and every time he brings up religion and church, I have to confess it gets a bit uncomfortable. I am afraid he expects me to share the 4 Spiritual Laws, or a Gospel tract, or to ask him if he were to die tonight on a scale of 1-10 how sure is he that he would go to heavenall methods of evangelism I have been trained in, and all methods I have to confess that I have actually done in my life. When the truth is, I have not even had him over for dinner yet, so asking him about his assurance of that afterlife is a bit much. 

And yet, I am certain that if we were out in the front yard chatting I would easily tell him what Dixie Chicks album I loved the most, or why I think John Steinbeck is the best author of all times, or my preference of Maudie’s queso to any other in town. I would recommend Crazy Rich Asians if he was looking for a movie, and I could give him a very full list of novels I have read and loved this summer if he was looking for a book. You see, there are some things I am evangelical about….

And it’s not that I am embarrassed to talk about my faith; that is what I do for a living…and it’s not that I don’t know how to talk about my faith; again, I hope that is what I do for a living. It really is that I don’t want to seem like one of those Christians. 

You know, one of those Christians that Jesus actually commanded us to be. His final words to his disciples and to us: “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Go tell and go live my story.

And he does not try to convince the disciples to do this – it’s worth noting as we talk about evangelism how Jesus does not convince, argue or try to persuade – He lives and tells stories to demonstrate God’s love and desire for the world, as if, radical concept, that was enough. To live and to tell a great story.

I think it’s important once again here to focus on words, which I know we are doing a lot these days. You see, the text I just read above is what we call the Great Commission, but note that it’s we who call that the Great Commission. Jesus did not gather the disciples together and say let me tell you the Great Commission.” No, these were simply his parting words.

However, he did label something great.” In Matthew it happens six chapters before the Great Commission: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When asked what was great, Jesus replied: Love God, love others and love yourself….And I personally believe that if Jesus had been asked to further expand on the Great Commission, what he would have known as his final words, I think he would have pointed us right back there. 

Jesus would say, First Austin, you want to make disciples? Well go and live the Great Command, and then people are going to be intrigued and invite you to share your story, your passion, your why….And doing that is exactly what I am calling you to do. 

Note, this does not mean evangelism as it has often been presented: saving souls and giving them fire insurance, converting folks to western white Christianity. Saving souls from the fires of hell will not cut it; it’s cheap grace and we can do a hell of a lot better. Salvation and conversion and sanctification are about so much more than just that.

Last night I was reading a tribute to Aretha Franklin, specifically a tribute to her best album, her 1972 Gospel album Amazing Gracean album that can restore my faith in just a song. This tribute was written by a non-religious journalist, and yet this line: “Aretha brought church with her wherever she went, reaching beyond the pews, tapping into our universally shared humanity with her voice, heart, gut and soul.” That’s evangelical. I want to be evangelical like Aretha. 

Which means that evangelism is a large word because evangelism looks like building a house at Mobile Loaves and Fishes Community First Village, it looks like giving out bottles of water on a hot day to the thirsty and homemade sandwiches to the hungry, it’s standing up for those who are being oppressed, it’s welcoming the stranger into your home, it’s telling your neighbor about the church community that gives you life and the story on which you base your entire being, it’s befriending the kid at school who no one else sits with, it’s using your job to make sure those around you know they are loved….. 

And it’s doing that for a reason. You see, if I just wanted to make the world a better place, there are a lot of other organizations I would join to do so. It’s deeper for me than just wanting to make the world a better place, it’s about fully realizing the Kingdom of Jesus on earth as it is in heaven.

And maybe it’s simpler than we have made it. Mary Helen’s final email to the deaconate this week as she turns leadership over to Natalie: “May we stay focused on God’s love and how to share that.” Fitting last words that echo the last words of Jesus.

Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you….Stay focused on God’s love and how to share that. 

And I don’t know that Jesus cares what we call that – “evangelical or notin fact, I think Jesus just calls it obedience.

Amen and Amen.

--
Rev. Dr. Griff Martin
Senior Pastor
First Austin: a baptist community of faith

*artwork: From the Book Evangelism: Reaching Out Through Relationships by Jack Kuhatschek, discoveryseries.org


0 comments:

Post a Comment