Wednesday, August 17, 2016


“Who says I’ve grown up?” Joe Bumbulis laughs, standing at his desk when asked where he grew up, “Well, I was born and raised in Big Spring, Texas. It was a great place to grow up and a great place to leave.

This summer Joe has spent time first at youth camp in full dinosaur costume, and as camp pastor at children’s camp portraying a long-haired, bearded Paul riding a bike/horse named, “Scott Who Frolics a Lot.” I think we can agree his initial self-assessment is accurate.

Joe began his college career at Arlington Baptist College before finding The University of Mary Hardin Baylor. At the time he was focused on joining the Air Force. He says this is when he met God in Jesus and discovered a new path. “I mean, I went from wanting to go into the Air Force and be a pilot to going to college to be a minister. That’s a big jump.” Joe graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Religion and Philosophy. Then he attended Truett Seminary at Baylor University where he earned a Masters of Divinity.


Funny how things work out in life, although Joe is not in the business of flying, his need for speed is well addressed by all the fast moving youth he works with.

Inquiring about his most exciting life experience, Joe gave this answer, one best read in his own words. “It may seem counterintuitive, having run triathlons, surfed, traveled, played college football, and such, but I’d say... being married to Charlotte. It’s not that everyday of marriage is exciting; it’s actually quite mundane and routine most of the time. Yet, marriage has been the single biggest commitment that continually renews me, transforms me, calls me, and brings me joy. So saying yes to life long commitment to Charlotte has been the most exciting experience of my life.”

What an amazing testament and a great leader for our youth. We are thankful that Joe is part of our First Austin ministerial team and we wish him great peace and renewal on his current sabbatical. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment