Wednesday, January 6, 2016

It’s difficult to ever see or experience God, much less see or experience God every day.
It’s difficult to ever act like Christ, much less act like Christ every day.
In a world of decreasing denominational affiliation and faith community appreciation, I often find myself asking how I can be an effective, ecumenical evangelical (without all the hang-ups around that word). I love the Lord; I love my church; and, I want everyone to see and experience the love of God in the ways to which I am privileged. Revivals are long gone. Facebook proselytizing is usually frowned upon. So – what can a Jesus guy do?
I’m reminded of a time when God broke into my life after a Christmas Eve service when I was seven years old. My church at the time invited a sister church from an under-served part of the city for worship and for fellowship afterwards. While sitting with my family in the gym for post-worship fellowship, I watched an elderly, handicapped woman enter slowly and look around for an open chair. With no chairs left, I quickly surrendered mine to the woman without a second thought. She smiled warmly, deeply. And, as we were leaving, she called me over and gifted me her finger rosary, a rosary she had treasured for decades. I gratefully accepted the gift, but I could not understand why she would give me something so personally valuable. With confused tears and questions streaming, my parents explained that she gave it to me because I had shown her simple, selfless kindness. I still didn’t get it at the time, but I kept that rosary to this day. It seems so small, but it felt – and still feels – awfully big to me.
God broke in, quietly asking for me to provide her (and Him) a seat. God broke in, boldly reminding me that small things count.
Paul brings it all together in his letter to the Colossians:
14Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. -- Colossians 3:14-15
That’s what a Jesus guy can do. Focus on the small things. There’s no need for grand gestures or proclamations to share the love of Christ; His love is grand enough without them. To try sharing simple, selfless kindness every day: That’s my aim in acting more like Christ, that’s my aim in seeing and experiencing God.
Recognizing the power of the small things helps me act more like Christ every day.
Recognizing the power of the small thing helps me see and experience God every day.
Do you believe in the power of the small things?

0 comments:

Post a Comment