Thursday, February 19, 2015

Natalie Vaughn

Psalm 37:1-2
Do not fret because of the wicked;   
do not be envious of wrongdoers,
for they will soon fade like the grass,
and wither like the green herb.

As a child I had simplistic labels for people that boiled into two camps: The Good Guys vs The Bad Guys.  The Houston Oilers vs the bad guys; Bobby Ewing vs JR Ewing; my mascot vs your mascot I really think it was in high school before I was forced to see that some things were dualistic in nature.  And then later I somehow noticed that sacred people in my life had bad amongst their good.  Fast forward a few years and even as an adult, when Im introduced to a new person, thought, or concept, my first inclination is to figure out what camp they/it fit into: good or bad. 

Todays Lenten scripture passages also label people into different camps, primarily the wicked and the righteous.  The wicked will be destroyed, their children cut-off, they will perish

I was struggling with the practicality of these texts today. 

Without a current person/group of people that are outrageously evil I have a hard time with the practicality of outright labeling someone wicked.

Ninevites? Yes.  Hitler? Yes.

But You and Me? Not so much.  

On a daily basis how many people do you meet who are wicked?  I venture to say zero.  Sure there are those that you may not like, but wicked?  Zero.  Websters defines Wickedness as That which is evil and contrary to the will of God.

Oh boysuddenly because of my sin, my choice to turn away from the person God has made me to be, the body of people who are wicked grows to not only include those evil people in history, but it now includes me. 

Thats a sobering reality.

All this time Ive been making wickedness about good vs. bad, when its really just always been about us. broken, frail, wicked us.

Yikes.   

Its dawning on me that we are each and every one of us united in our common brokenness and all of my tendencies to try to see the world in this dualistic way is just another example of how we each struggle to bear the weight of the wickedness we each have within.

Can you see yourself in these passages? Do you feel the pull to make it about good vs. evil?

Who/how God is calling you to be moment by moment?

Id love to know your thoughts.

Psalm 37:3-7
Trust in the Lord, and do good;
so you will live in the land, and enjoy security.
Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.
He will make your vindication shine like the light,
and the justice of your cause like the noonday.
Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him.





Natalie (aka Deacon Vaughn) is on the facebooks and her twitter handle is @texasrtexas, you can be the one of the first to follow her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment