Just as we believe in the priesthood of every believer, so do you call us to the prophet-hood of every believer. Each of us is called to "walk the walk", to examine our own complicities in the world's inequities even though that is unpleasant work.
We are called:
- to ease the hate in this world,
- to expand the compassion in this world,
- to endure in humility,
- to risk revolutionary love,
- to stand for the oppressed,
- to speak up for the forgotten,
- to make freedom a reality for every person,
- to place a "not for sale" sign on our souls.
Prayer from worship, January 17, 2009, by Dr. Roger Paynter. Listen to the entire sermon here.